I. The Issues
The disturbing revelation of coaches (at every level) sexually, physically or psychologically abusing players should give every parent pause as they consider their child’s sport participation. Parents must ask:
- Do we know who is coaching our children and were they properly screened through Nationwide Criminal Background Checks?
- What should we expect from those who coach our children? Did we provide them with the training necessary to give our children a positive and productive experience?
- What can be done to help ensure that children participate in a safe and healthy environment? Did my association do everything they could to protect my child?
- Is there an easy way to find answers to these important questions, such as an online coaches’ registry that parents and association administrators can easily check?
II. The Solution
Trusted Coaches believes that more needs to be done to protect our children since young athletes do not have the power to protect themselves. Parents and sports association administrators must be ever-vigilant in screening and monitoring those who coach kids. The vast majority of coaches are positive influences in the lives of our children, but there are always some who are not.
There are partial answers to solving the youth coach challenge; background check companies, concussion training, first-aid courses, positive sports psychology workshops – but no comprehensive solutions. Trusted Coaches has designed a youth coach program that gives associations and parents the power to help protect children against dangerous, ineffective, or overly negative coaches. This is by no means an attack on coaches; good coaches, just like good teachers, have always been some of the most important people in our children’s lives. However, a fundamental requirement should be coach training that is both comprehensive and ongoing. Trusted Coaches has the solution!
III. The Program
The Trusted Coaches program maximizes the probability that positive things will happen to young athletes! First, by screening coaches. Second, by giving them the tools to be effective. Third, by creating an online National Coaches’ Registry that parents and associations can check.
The program features an identification card with the verified coach’s photo. This card will verify that a coach has:
- completed an online First-Aid Training program which will address injury prevention and treatment.
- completed an online Concussion Instruction course following CDC guidelines.
- completed an online Positive Coaching Alliance® (PCA) Double-Goal Coach® character education course. A Double-Goal Coach® has two goals: the first is to win, but the second, more important goal is to teach life lessons through sports. PCA’s online course is filled with powerful coaching tools that are based on the latest research in sports psychology and reflect the “best practices” of elite coaches and athletes, including such PCA National Advisory Board members as NBA coaches Phil Jackson & Doc Rivers, NFL greats Steve Young & Herm Edwards, MLB stars Dusty Baker & Barry Zito, and Olympians Brandi Chastain, Kerri Strug & Summer Sanders.
- passed an approved Nationwide Criminal Background Check.
IV. The Benefits
Coaches will be able to complete these online courses in their own home and at their own pace. The coaches will have to submit a background check application and color photo. Each verified coach will be placed in a Coaches’ Registry on the Trusted Coaches website that will indicate when a coach has passed all 4 components of the program.
The benefits of Trusted Coaches that help promote 100% compliance for an entire organization include:
- helping coaches minimize the risk of harm or injury to young athletes.
- providing information about fundamental coaching concepts which enhance volunteer coaches’ effectiveness.
- presenting a “one-stop shop” for youth associations to deliver best practices training to their coaches.
- offering an online repository capable of keeping track of coaches’ certifications and renewal dates – easily checked by associations and parents.
Optional 2nd and 3rd Year Annual Background Check:
Trusted Coaches is offering annual Background Checks for second and third year members.
The Background Check also features the Peak Performance Series videos as continuing education for coaches.
To learn more about how you can reduce your overall cost and collaborate with other Youth Sports Organizations in your community, give us a call! You can reach Clarence Fields at firstname.lastname@example.org.